Network Administrator Careers in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
A network administrator is an IT professional who is responsible for the monitoring, controlling and operation of the computer network of organization, enterprise, etc. As organizations become more depend on information technology and the sharing of information and data throughout an enterprise, the role of a network administrator becomes increasingly important. With the ever increasing pace at which information technology is evolving, to become a network administrator, formal study from an accredited computer science school or accredited network administration program in Brookhaven NY or greater New York is beneficial. However, there are many other IT professionals who would also benefit from the study of computer networks including those who work as programmer, web-designer, service engineer, system administrator and network administrators to name a few. This article is designed to give you an overview of the career of a network administrator as well as highlight relevant courses and programs from accredited computer science schools to help you develop the skills and knowledge required to undertake this role within an organization.
Functions of the Network Administrator in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
Broadly speaking the role of the network administrator includes the following:
- To install, configure, and maintain the network equipment (including the software systems which run on the equipment) so it is always ready to be used without any technical issues;
- To embroider system bottlenecks, determine and assign network addresses to network devices;
- To choose network protocols, adjust the routing tables and control the access to the shared resources.
The role may also include the installation of the network and network support services, such as VPN. The network administrator is also focused on the network design, monitors the efficiency of its use and develops the policy of protection of information.
One of the most important things that the network administrator should keep in mind is that one needs to know the niceties of the manufacture’s products that are taking leading position in the market. As an example, one of the leaders in network technologies developed for the internet is Cisco. That is why, nowadays, the knowledge of the products of its company is a requirement for an applicant, imposed by many companies in this sphere. The certificate of The Cisco Certified Network Administrator is very helpful for understanding and working with Cisco products and services which are commonly found within the networks of large enterprises today.
To work as a network administrator, one is required to stay up-to-date with industry trends and developments including the latest technologies and systems. Undertaking study at relevant network administrator programs and computer science schools will not only help you understand the theory and practice of computer systems and networks, but also help you identify the latest industry trends. This article includes some courses in network administrator training in Brookhaven NY.
One of the most exciting trends today is virtualization, where multiple systems and processes run within a single system or server. This has been critical in improving the efficiency and utilization of information technology and communication systems in recent years. Another emerging trend is cloud computing which is of great importance to a network administrator, as it means more and more users become dependent on the network and systems which support the running of application in the cloud. We encourage you to contact the relevant network administration programs and computer science schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York for further information.
What do you need to know to become a System Network Administrator in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York?
- A strong understanding of the fundamentals of mathematics and computer science is generally a pre-requisite;
- It is required to have a good knowledge of the software and network equipment created for small and medium-sized networks;
- Be able to understand different computer functions and configurations, operating systems and numerous network standards;
- Be able to reliably provide information security standards;
There are also important personal qualities and traits that make a person suitable as a network administrator. These traits would include:
- Psychological qualities, such as analytical skills, ability to concentrate and quickly switch attention from one thing to another; ability to identify the cause-and-effect relations;
- A person should be sociable and considerate; at the same time, patient as the work is not all about technical machines but staff as well.
Network Administrator Schools in New York
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- AAS in Information Technology - Network Administration
- BS in Information Technology - Network Administration
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Computer Career - Networking
About the College of Westchester
Since 1915, The College of Westchester (CW) has focused on the career success of its students. CW's academic programs are carefully designed to provide the skills and competencies most desired by employers. Our campus environment is highly personal and our culture centers on service to students. CW faculty is selected based on experience, credentials and a caring attitude to bring real world knowledge to the classroom. The College's technologies and web-enhanced learning tools give students anywhere, anytime connectivity to courses, professors, classmates and services. The College of Westchester offers an exceptional experience that can lead to a lifetime of achievement and success.
- Computer Networking Specialist
- AAS-Computer Network Administration
- Network Administration and Computer Security-CERT
- Bachelor’s program options include Cybersecurity, Information Systems Technology, Computer Science, and more.
- A BAS in Information Systems Technology is also available for students who already hold an A.A.S degree.
- Regent University’s tech programs are designed to prepare students for careers in Software Development and Engineering, Computer Information Security, Network Administration, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - Information Security
What is a Network Administrator in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York Responsible For?
There are many roles and responsibility for an Accredited Network Administrator in Brookhaven NY
- Understanding the relevant guidelines, regulations and laws;
- Understanding the structure of the company and management of computer networks and assisting with the design and development of information technology and communication networks within an organization;
- The basics of industrial security and fire safety;
- Responsible for non-disclosure of confidential information;
- Responsible for the proper performance in the corresponding network field and quality of the work done;
The Career of a Network Administrator: Career Prospects and Earning Potential for a Network Administrator in Brookhaven NY and Greater New York
With the ever increasing demand for the collection, sharing and analysis of data within organizations today, the role of a network administrator is becoming increasingly important. The occupation is in strong demand, and those with network administration and broader computer science skills are in strong demand. This demand supports further growth in a network administrator salary.
Basic network administration training from accredited network administration schools is highly beneficial in entering into the career of network administration. However, almost all employers agree, while by no means guaranteed, a network administration course or a formal degree in computer science will significantly improve your career prospects and earning potential.
A network administration role is suited for those who have a strong interest in computer and information systems and are able to combine this interest with the discipline and structure required to organize and manage complex computer systems and networks. If you are interest in exploring this career path, we encourage you to contact the relevant network administration programs and computer science schools in Brookhaven NY and greater New York as listed throughout this website. I hope you found this article useful in giving you an overview of a career as a network administrator.